Saturday, June 25, 2011

Summertime?

Hello everyone! Here are some things we've been up to lately. We haven't done too many "summer" things yet because the weather has been too cold! But we will hopefully be doing more and not blogging about it... like usual. I mean, we will faithfully report on our lives every week and bore you to death with posts about meetings, work drama, primary children, and our latest TV show on Netflix! How exciting!

Last weekend I got it in my head that I wanted to get some worms and start a worm bin as a way to compost our organic waste. I was pretty excited (and still am) and I think of it as a kind of science project. Here is the worm bin and the worms that arrived in the mail on Thursday:
(Don't mind my awkwardly held hands... they were dirty from wetting newspaper so of course I had to hold them like that.)
They are now busy eating away at our trash (including compostable Microsoft cups!) and making us some good soil. I just hope they live.... Henry thinks we don't eat enough vegetables to keep them alive :(

We also had a Reese's taste test with some friends of ours, Elena and Aaron. They bought a bunch of different Reese's products and we rated them based on texture, chocolate quality, PB quality, chocolate/PB ratio, and then gave each an overall rating. The results: everything pretty much sucks except the original Reese's and the minis. Reese's should stop branching out and trying to make versions of everything else! Just stick to what you're good at, sillies.
Prodigious amounts of milk were also consumed.
Here is Aaron dutifully entering in our ratings (on a scale of 1 to 10) into a spreadsheet to tabulate the results. Yeah, we're cool like that.

Another fun thing we did was shoot some guns! This was my first time shooting a gun and it was kinda fun, but we won't be purchasing our own any time soon.
Here's Henry shooting some gun.
Sandra and I both thought is was very loud! Even with earplugs. This is also me rocking the double-glasses look. I like to call it "six-eyes".

Here is me shooting some gun. I hit the target and that's what matters.

5 comments:

Nick and Katherine said...

I'm pretty much in love with the fact that y'all had a Reese's taste testing activity. It makes me want to have one, like, right now!

Pat Talley said...

Thanks for posting and keeping us up-to-date on fun things you're doing.

Sarah Beau Bera said...

I think it is time I call you out on having an eating contest at my wedding. TORI HAD AN EATING CONTEST AT MY WEDDING RECEPTION! I know it was held in the cultural hall, and maybe that set the classiness bar too low, but still. When I saw you with a table full of Reese's wrappers it reminded me of what your slim figure is capable of.

tappens said...

Let me just say, Sarah, that I was about 15 at the time.... so that gives me an excuse, right? Or is that maybe just a little too old. Not sure. Either way, they were darn good chicken salad sandwiches.

Rebecca B said...

Worms, Reese's, and shooting guns, huh? This post shows exactly how eclectically gross you are.