Saturday, November 27, 2010

Portlandia

With our time off after Thanksgiving we decided to take a short road-trip down to Portland. I didn't take a whole lot of pictures, but here are a few highlights.

Here we are in a Chinese Garden downtown. It was really gorgeous.

Look how excited we are about that Tea House!
We saw this place was popular online, but we aren't huge doughnut fans so we weren't too sure. But after a few enthusiastic recommendations from friends we decided to go. The place looks like a dive inside and out, but the doughnuts were amazing. They came in a distinctive pink box, and we saw a bunch of other people carrying them around town.
Flashback to Philosophy 205 (Deductive Logic).... All good things come in pink boxes? Or all pink boxes contain good things? Well, the contents of this box were DEFINITELY good. This picture was taken after we had already eaten the one with maple frosting and bacon - DANG GOOD. These ones have oreos, cocoa puffs, and chocolate chips/peanuts/peanut butter/chocolate syrup/bananas. Yeah. I'm serious.
We also had a fun time checking out the Saturday Market and Powell's City of Books (a city-block size bookstore). And we had some great real food (besides doughnuts), too. Portland is a cool city, and I felt out of place not wearing skinny jeans... but whatever. At least I've got the dark-rimmed glasses to help me out. Even though we have a cool city nearby (Seattle) where we can go do similar things, it was fun to get away for a day or two.

PS-- It also helps that Oregon has no sales tax! I got a sewing machine! So look forward to more crafty posts!

3 comments:

Rich and Liz Harris said...

I've heard about VooDoo doughnuts on Man vs. Food! Awesome!

Malia Morris said...

Bacon donuts...I don't see why not? I bet they taste pretty good, salty sweet sort of combo.

Portland looks awesome.

Leanne said...

I feel like Portland is where I need to live and I've never even been there. Skinny jeans and Buddy Holly glasses? Count me in.